Though we came to this place two times before, we never thought to take photos or else of it.
The castle has been built on a rock in the middle of River Lee by the McCarthys of Muskerry in the 15th century, and was in possession of the family for over a century. On May 10th, 1650, during the Cromwell's campaign across Ireland, Bishop MacEgan was captured by the English army and was promised his freedom if he could convince the castle's garrison to surrender. But MacEgan told the garrison to fight till the end in the name of religion and country, so MacEgan was hanged on a tree close to the castle with the reins of his horse. A few years later, the Welsh family of the Bowens acquired the castle and moved here, but abandoned it in the early 19th century when they moved to a newly built manor house at Oakgrove.
The castle is a rectangular tower house three storeys high. The entrance is on its east-northeast (75°) side where a modern bridge have been built. The bridge is so narrow that only one car at the time can cross it and even taking photos on this side of the castle is a hard task! The building is just a shell, inside the castle nothing has left, the inner wall are partly overgrown with vegetation, the west wall retains part of the original plaster. A machicolation is on the south wall at the roof level.
The location of the castle is really amazing.
|